Thursday 24 May 2007

Islay Beach rugby

As some of you may know I am a keen sportsman. I manage to keep it well hidden under the strategically developed layers of fat middle age spread. I am still a playing member of Islay Rugby Club at 41.

On the 9th of June we hold our 4th Annual Beach Rugby Tournament.

This has grown over the last 4 years but has kept its character of true corinthian sporting values. So thats 3 very bad hangovers and even severe sunstroke.

This year we have 17 male teams and 4 female teams confirmed. With the defending champions, Melrose bring a particularly large support with them.

So if anyone fancies a quiet, cultural weekend of Birdwatching (Having been Inspired by BBC Spring Watch) then the weekend of the 9th June may not be the best time to visit.

PS that is me definately not handling the ball on the ground in the pic above.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Ian,

I was just wondering if the 'Nails' have an unofficial team entered?

I spoke in brief with our pressy who wasn't sure. I haven't had a chance to speak to the lads yet.

If so, I might come up and make an appearance!

Tess:)

islayian said...

Heriots are one of the teams who have confirmed

Anonymous said...

Ah, something else to link to when I write the follow up entry to my recent football entry and move on to Rugby ;-)

Unfortunately (or may be fortunately?) I'll miss the tournament by a week. Hope to see it at some point though!

Anonymous said...

Ahoy from Florida

I write the Masters column for RUGBY magazine in the US....pls keep in touch w/me you old fart as I'm always looking for stories. Also we have our own Beerfoot Beach tournament in Naples every mid-July

Dan santoro
rugbydan@bellsouth.net