Thursday 7 December 2006

No IWB's here

Several people have come back to me and asked where I get my confidence that IWB's are not the future of education.

One place is Djanogly City Academy, Nottingham.

I first became aware of the school in a Teacher TV programme called 'ICT: A vision of the future'. I have since been in touch with Sanjesh Sarma (from the video) and spoken to him about the use of Tablet PC's and wireless networks. I would dearly love to go down and visit the school but I haven't done so yet.

I wouldn't say that seeing the approach that Djangoly use changed my mind but it did affirm what I was thinking


Video: Future School uk

What do you think?



7 comments:

islayian said...

The here I am refering to is Djangoly.
Learning styles is very much to the for front of my argument.
Pupils being able to see larger screens with no teacher infront of them helps all learning styles.
Some can still point to things and talk things through on the screen

Anonymous said...

Before an interactive whiteboard arrived in my room, I had argued for tablet + projector. Now that I have one, I wouldn't want to lose it, but I still want tablets! IWBs are not the whole of the future, but I find it hard to believe that the large displays in classrooms in 10 years from now will not be touch sensitive.

islayian said...

Robert
What is it specifically you like about the board your using?

Anonymous said...

Big question Ian! One thing I specifically like about it that I wouldn't get from projector + tablets is a big physical space for me and the students to play on. That doesn't sound like a big deal does it? I didn't think it would be a big deal. But it is. Dragging around objects on the whiteboard is a completely different experience than fiddling around with things on a tablet and seeing the results on a big screen.

islayian said...

I agree that it is a different kinetic experience but I have found that tablets have the advantage of a larger physical screen.
We have used boards in various departments at various times.
I conducted a survey of staff and pupils sfter they have used both and over wellmingly they perference was for a larger screen, usually slight higher on the wall, over a smaller screen, at the teachers height, which has direct interaction.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...maybe your boards were too small ;)

I'd really like to try out tablet pc's in class. I think a trial just took place in East Lothian. I'll need to hunt down the report.

islayian said...

lol good try Robert they were the 72" boards Compare that to 12 feet